Zesty chicken & chorizo paella
Calories per serving: 490
• 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil
• 35g (1¼oz) chorizo, finely chopped
• 3 chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 15g (½oz) parsley, leaves separated, stalks chopped
• 1 carrot, peeled and grated
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 chicken stock cube
• 300g (10½oz) paella rice (or see recipe introduction)
• 750ml (1¼ pints) boiling water
• 100g (3½oz) frozen peas
• 1 lemon
• salt and pepper
1 Heat the oil in a large wok or similar pan and stir-fry the chorizo, chicken, onion, garlic, parsley stalks and grated carrot for 5 minutes.
2 Add in the red pepper, paprika, cayenne and turmeric and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
3 Crumble in the chicken stock cube, then stir in the rice until thoroughly combined with all of the other ingredients. Pour in the measured boiling water and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
4 Stir, then simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
5 Add the peas, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for a final 5 minutes.
6 Check that the rice is cooked and not chalky. Grate the lemon directly over the top of the dish and scatter with the parsley leaves. Chop the lemon into wedges and serve on the side.
NOTE If you fancy adding some prawns, simply fry them separately and stir them in when the paella is cooked.